IPSEC == end of firewalls (was Re: (fwd) e$: PBS NewsHour, Path Dependency, IPSEC, Cyberdog, and the Melting of Mr.)

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Jan 22 18:08:06 PST 1996

Nelson Minar writes:
> I'm all for the end of ridiculous non-TCP/IP protocols, but does
> anyone believe this point about encrypted IP traffic eliminating the
> need for firewalls?

There is division in the IETF community on this point.

Phil Karn (who I have the greatest respect for) thinks IPSEC means we
can get rid of the firewalls. I, for one, don't -- they are there
largely because people don't trust that their networking software is
free of security holes, and cryptography doesn't fix security holes
for the most part.

Perry