No Subject

owner-cypherpunks at toad.com owner-cypherpunks at toad.com
Sun Jan 21 18:01:41 PST 1996

January 15th Fortune (don't normally read it, but I picked up a free copy)
has a lengthy and evidently well-researched article bylined Richard Behar
on the efforts of BFI, a large regional trash hauler and recycler, to
break into the (by most accounts) Mafia-controlled garbage collection
industry in New York City.

Cypherpunk relevance: BFI is cooperating closely with the DA in helping to
prosecute its allegedly mob-affiliated competitors, which raises a lot of
very interesting questions, for which I have yet to formulate any answers.
Also a sidenote about how NYC's disclosure laws actually aid organized
crime by helping the various bosses track who owns what territory.

Electronic surveillance. Money laundering. Steganography (sending messages
by way of the disembodied head of a dog). Open access to information and
free-market capitalism versus violent bozos, with and without uniforms.
Pen trumps sword.

Rich says check it out.
--
Rich Graves