Hassles taking App. Crypt. to Taiwan?

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 21 23:40:40 PST 1996

>At 1:49 PM 1/21/96, Daniel A. Monjar wrote:
>>I've lurked for quite a while now.  It is time to ask my first newbie
>>question.  I'll be going to Taiwan for three weeks in March.  Is there
>>likely to be any problems at US or Taiwan customs  if I take
>>Applied Cryptology 2/e along for personal study?

The first edition of Applied Cryptography has explicit permission to be
exported, thanks to Phil Karn.  It's not clear that he needed to ask,
except as a setup for asking permission to export the same material
on floppy disks; books normally get lots of slack because they look
surprisingly like the kind of thing the First Amendment covers.
(It's also not clear that he _didn't_ need to ask, given Dan Bernstein's
attempts to get official permission to teach cryptography.)

>On the Taiwan side, though, they may wonder why you brought an expensive
>U.S.-printed copy when you get the special rice-paper edition of "Applied
>Cryptography, 2nd Ed." for the equivalent of $2.25 in Taipei's book stalls.

If this were Singapore, they might consider it subversive literature,
because it is :-)  Don't know about Taiwan; you can tell them it's a computer
textbook or math textbook if they ask any questions.  Rice-paper editions
of books are especially good if you need to eat them in a hurry when the
Feds are raiding you....
#--
#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts at ix.netcom.com, Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
#
# "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty" used to mean us watching
# the government, not the other way around....