Wipe Swap File

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Sun Jan 21 23:33:26 PST 1996

At 20:27 1/21/96, jim bell wrote:

>However, I _still_ want to see brainless operating systems like MSDOS
>changed to erase (zero) allocated  data buffers before and after use (and
>especially before re-use!), so that parts of vital files don't accidentally
>get written to the ends of other files.

Not only DOS suffers from this problem. The MacOS does as well. All 'wipe
unused space' utilities for the Mac fail on a typical hard drive to
overwrite several hundred kB of data. Few people seem to care that the OS
fills the unused parts of the last block of a file with whatever happens to
be in the buffer.

Not good.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.