Microsoft to digitally certify other manufacturers' code?

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 21 23:19:00 PST 1996

This is old news, but I don't remember it being brought up. This is
interesting in light of recent discussions regarding the CryptoAPI,
the uncertainty of Microsoft's support for Java (it won't be in
Internet Explorer 3.0, but Visual Basic will), and Microsoft's
Internet Developers' conference scheduled for mid-March.

One of a set of press releases on http://www.microsoft.com/internet/

I thought I remembered seeing an announcement of Microsoft's plans
to license Java there before, but it's not there. I know they've
revised press releases without changing the date before (most notably
the October 20th SMB security bug acknowledgement).