You want to read MY e-mail?

Brian Davis bdavis at thepoint.net
Sat Jan 20 21:54:52 PST 1996

On Sat, 20 Jan 1996, Scott Staedeli wrote:

>    from the Nando Times-
>

> DENVER (Jan 20, 1996 01:16 a.m. EST) -- A college student's request to look at
> the electronic mail of several high-profile state politicians got lawmakers'
> attention Friday.

>    OK, if _I_ can't read your e-mail Mr. Legislator, why should you
> be able to read _mine_?

The Colorado state legislature has nothing to do with federal wiretapping
laws and with federal laws relating to encryption.

Rather than the "government is inconsistent and bad" spin, why not
"Colorado legislators and the Colorado governor agree that privacy is
paramount in electronic communications.  In opposing a request for
blanket access to their private electronic mail, they necessarily oppose
federal attempts to have access to all electronic mail, once again
showing that Washington is out of touch with the rest of the country.

Parts of the federal government are catching on, however.  The U.S. Commerce
Department recently agreed that federal attempts to
eavesdrop on electronic transmissions counterproductive in that they are
causing problems for U.S. companies which create computer programs
designed to allow secure use of the Internet to engage in private
discussions and secure commerce.  Estimates the dollar value of exports
lost range up to $xxx, and continued chilling of U.S. programmers will
give foreign programmers the chance to catch up in a field where U.S.
expertise presently leads the world. ...."

Needs to be re-written and juiced up, but you get the idea.

Have at it, Sameer.

EBD