Wipe Swap File

Dr. Dimitri Vulis dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Sat Jan 20 08:14:31 PST 1996

tallpaul at pipeline.com (tallpaul) writes:
> Remember that one simple wipe is *not* secure. Current Department of
> Defense security regs call for wiping the same space something like 8 or 9
> times. Even then the wipe is not secure enough for higher level DofD
> classified material. There the regs call for the physical destruction of
> the medium after it has been wiped.

Degaussing the media (running a household magnet over it :-) may be an option.
Two semi-on-topic questions:

1. Does anyone know a cheap way to recover the traces of the previous
(overwritten) recordings on the media?

2. If a cheap way exists, has anyone considered stego use of it?

(I don't need this right now, just for future reference, and any such
discussion would improve the s/n on this list.)

---

Dr. Dimitri Vulis