Code demonstrating Microsoft Windows insecurity on networks (fwd)

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 19 15:09:33 PST 1996

What "anonymous" said (below). I had permission to forward this, but I
figured it might attract more interest if it were "anonymous" to people
who can't read headers.

Almost two months after Peter and Frank demonstrated that it was untrue,
and one month and five days after Microsoft "significantly improved"
Windows 95 by providing a patch for the exact same algorithm, Microsoft
this very second still says that the .PWL algorithm as used in Windows for
Workgroups is secure.

 http://www.microsoft.com/kb/peropsys/windows/q90271.htm

This article will also be included on thousands of copies of the February
TechNet CD-ROM.

Other Knowledge Base articles have been corrected in less than a day.

Yusuf's statement that my January 16th email is the first that he had
heard of the .PWL problem is both patently ridiculous and directly
contradicted by private email from anonymous sources on this list whom
T. C. May has killfiled.

In other news, the international versions of the SMB and C$ bug fixes
exploited by Samba and Paul Brainard were finally posted today (as usual,
they're dated yesterday). So the non-US public shares listed on, for
example, www.winserve.com no longer have to be completely open to everyone
on the Internet. Yusuf Mehdi, the Windows 95 Product Manager, had told me
on November 9th that these internationalized patches would be posted
"within two weeks." No excuse for this two-month delay has been offered.

Yusuf also, well, lied on November 9th when he said that Microsoft had
"sent mail to the newsgroups" retracting their statement that the SMB bug
was caused by Samba sending "illegal network commands," and clarifying
that the patches dated October 20th only work on US/English versions of
Windows 95.

The original Microsoft announcement as released to the media and WinNews
is at:

 gopher://quixote.stanford.edu/0R593020-600291-/win95netbugs

The current version, which contrary to Yusuf's statements on November 9th
does not indicate that there has been any change, is at:

 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/software/w95fpup.htm

By the way, MSN is going to allow access via TCP/IP soon. Let's make sure
they do it securely.

-rich