Microsoft's CAPI

Matt Blaze mab at research.att.com
Wed Jan 17 07:25:30 PST 1996

I attended a meeting at Microsoft the other day at which they
described their Crypto API project.  As CAPIs go, it's reasonable
enough; nothing particularly exciting about it or especially wrong
with it (though they don't yet support nonblocking calls to crypto
modules).

They've defined 23 cryptographic services (establish key, encrypt,
etc.) that an application is expected to use for its cryptographic
needs.  The idea is to hide the crypto details (and keys) from
applications, and to make it easy to switch from, say, wimpy
export-approved crypto to good crypto just by switching to another DLL
at load-time.  The cryptography used depends on the crypto modules in
use at runtime.  The API will be part of the WIN32 interface.  The
next version of NT (and windows 95, I think), to be released in a few
months will support loading ``Cryptographic Service Providers'' (CSPs)
that contain the crypto functions that sit below the API.  They have
(or will have soon) an application development kit to allow you to
write code that uses the API, and a CSP development kit to let you
write the crypto functions.

The interesting part is that they say they've made a deal with the
government to allow applications that use the API to be exportable as
long as they don't also try to implement crypto on their own.
Ordinarily, the government claims that ``crypto with a hole''
(applications that call a crypto API) are just as export-controlled as
crypto functions themselves, so this is something of a surprise and
would represent considerable forward progress.  But, of course,
there's a catch.

The OS will not load just any old CSP.  CSPs have to be signed by
Microsoft.  The kernel contains a (hardcoded?) 1024 RSA public key
that it uses to check the signature when the user tries to load a CSP.
If the signature check fails, the CSP won't load.  Microsoft says it
will sign any CSP from anyone AS LONG AS THEY CERTIFY THAT THEY WILL
FOLLOW THE EXPORT RULES.  So you can get your CSP signed if you use
exportable cryptography or if you agree not to send it outside the US
and Canada, etc.  But an end user can't just compile crypto code and
use it as a CSP, even for his or her own use, without getting it
signed by Microsoft first (actually, the CSP development kit does
allow this, but it uses a special version of the OS).

I'm not sure whether this whole thing is good or bad.  One important
issue is whether MS will really sign anyone's CSP or whether they will
start charging high fees or making business-based decisions on who's
CSPs they will allow (with they sign Netscape's CSP, for example).
They say they won't even look or keep a copy of your CSP (at my
suggestion, they are probably going to change the process so that you
send them a hash of your CSP instead of your CSP code when you get the
signature).  For now they promise to sign CSPs for anyone who returns
the export certificate, at no charge.

We (Jack Lacy and I) will probably implement, get signed, and give
away a CryptoLib-based CSP (not for export) for which we will also
make source available so people examine the source to their crypto
(most CSPs will, presumably, not include source).

Despite all this, I think it will be easy to get around the CSP
signature requirements and use homebrew, unsigned crypto even with
pre-compiled .exe files from other sources.  I suspect it will be easy
to write a program, for example, that takes an executable program
and converts CryptoAPI calls to calls that look like just another DLL.
And I'm sure someone will write a program to patch the NT/Windows
kernel to ignore the signature check.  Needless to say, it would be
nice if someone outside the US were to write and distribute programs
to do this.  It would also be nice if someone would write a Unix/Linux
version of the API/CSP mechanism.  It might make it possible to export
applications for those platforms as well.

I haven't tried any of this out yet, but they say they will have beta
versions of the API and CSP developers kits out in a few weeks.  They
say that the API kit will not be export-controlled but the CSP kit
will be.  They plan to announce all this at the RSA conference this
week.

-matt