Better S/N through moderation.

s1018954 at aix2.uottawa.ca s1018954 at aix2.uottawa.ca
Tue Jan 16 16:43:33 PST 1996

On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, David Lesher wrote:

> Can't we just solve the problem by making it a moderated list;
> and make Perry the moderator?

  There are moderated versions of the list, I think cypherpunks-lite is one
of them. You have to pay for the privilege. IMHO noise is self-regulating
on mailing lists (as opposed to usenet). My preferred method of accessing
cypherpunks is through news://nntp.hks.net/hks.* ,which also gets you a few
other worthwhile related lists (like cyberia-l, ipsec, mixmaster...).
All the benefits of being a newsgroup without having to be on usenet.

  I am only currently subscribed directly because it is the beginning of
the term and I can afford the time. I subscribe and unsubscribe several times
a year as time constraints permit. I think this is far preferable to having
the raw master list edited according to someone's tastes. You get the flavour
you prefer. Killfiles exist.

  It is a tribute to the usefullness of the forum and the flexibility of the
medium that there are so many ways of accessing this source of info.

Back to your regularly scheduled crypto.

(Speaking of sublists, whatever happenned to the DC-net list mentioned in
the cyphernomicon? Is this a figment of my imagination or was there any code
written that I might partake of? Btw, why call it a DC network when it is
really a ring? Maybe I haven't taken a good enough look at the protocol.
Dinner calls. :> )