Crypto anarchist getting through customs

Brad Dolan bdolan at use.usit.net
Mon Jan 15 16:33:18 PST 1996

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Frequent travellers to Europe will no doubt confirm what I'm saying. I
> travelled to dozens of countries in Europe a while back, and never was
> checked at any borders, save for a quick glance at my passport.
>
> --Tim May

This may, in part, depend on your mode of transport.  Or maybe the phase
of the moon.

In June of '93, I took a train from Rome to Nice, something which
had worked nicely for me in the past.  That time we were all
uncermoniously dumped out at a whistle-stop border checkpoint and forced
to carry our luggage past some guys in uniforms.  I think some people got
a quiz, though I did not.  After an hour or two, they let us board a
*different* train to complete the last little bit of our journey.

That's the only border harassment I've experienced in Western Europe.
Eastern Europe has been more interesting on occasion.

Brad