They Thought They Were Free

Marianne Mueller mrm at netcom.com
Mon Jan 15 12:04:49 PST 1996

As long as we're on the subject of recommending books ...
a great one is Milton Mayer's "They Thought They Were Free",
interviews with ten Germans post-war.     The title pretty
much sums it up.   Mayer was an excellent writer and journalist.
The book is hard to find.

title: "they thought they were free: the germans, 1933-45"
author:  milton mayer
University of Chicago Press, 1955
ISBN 0-226-51190-1 (cloth)
ISBN 0-226-51192-8 (paper)
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 55-5137

One quote at the beginning of the book:

  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself
     "God, I thank Thee, that I am not as other men are."

Here's hoping cypherpunks don't start echoing that sentiment ...

Marianne