[noise] The economics of super-stars - partial cite

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Sat Jan 13 23:12:56 PST 1996

[Token crypto relevance: there's some steganography in Mayta]

On Sat, 13 Jan 1996, James A. Donald wrote:

> At 09:55 PM 1/13/96 -0800, Rich Graves wrote:
> > Title refers to Sendero Luminoso, a particularly bizarre Maoist cult that
> > has been brutally repressed by Fujimori in recent years.
>
> Your use of the word "brutal" in this context is a little odd.  Since Sendero
> Luminoso are extraordinarily cruel terrorists and mass murderers, it is
> entirely proper and appropriate for Fujimoro to attempt to physically
> exterminate them.  Possibly what you meant to imply is that Fujimoro
> failed to make adequate distinction between support for the political
> ideas of terrorists, and actual participation in terror.

No, I meant "brutal."

The word "brutal" is also clearly appropriate for Sendero, but I figured
"bizarre Maoist cult" was sufficiently non-laudatory. I guess some people
are into that kind of thing, though, so I'll add "brutal" in the future.

Eye for an eye. Thankfully, it's calmed down now that the most nasty folks
are either dead or educated by the experience. Peru moved on from
terrorism to the soap opera within the Fujimori family (his wife
threatened to run for President against him, was locked out of the house,
etc.)

Read anything from Mario Vargas Llosa for background. I'm told that his
novels are actually more accurate than his nonfiction because he doesn't
have to worry quite so much about specific people on both sides wanting to
kill him, since he doesn't name names. I've recommended La vida de
Alejandro Mayta to many a chardonnay revolutionary who thinks that Maoist
revolution is "cool," and the human reality check is good for those with
a more authoritarian bent, too.

-rich