Respect for privacy != Re: exposure=deterence?

Daniel R. Oelke droelke at rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com
Sat Jan 13 21:21:00 PST 1996

> From: s1018954 at aix2.uottawa.ca
>
> My apologies for responding to a political post.
>
> On Sat, 13 Jan 1996, Charlie Merritt wrote:
>
> > I feel that public exposure
> > is enough to put fear into these anonymous government employees.
> > You will note that when they get the mad_bomber
> > some FBI guy jumps right up and takes credit, live, on TV.
> > But when the Air Force orders a $300 toilet seat NO ONE is credited.
>
> It's interesting how we advocate anonymity for ourselves but not for our
> opponents. Feeling righteous?

There is a *big* difference between anonymity for individuals, and
anonymity for government officials acting in the name of the government.
Government has no right to privacy.  Individuals do.

> Reminds me of the bit from True Names about all the warlocks trying to
> crack each other's nyms to enslave each other. Sad?

Dan Oelke                                  Alcatel Network Systems
droelke at aud.alcatel.com                             Richardson, TX