BIG NEWS: PRZ investigation dropped!

Anonymous anon-remailer at utopia.hacktic.nl
Fri Jan 12 05:07:38 PST 1996

James A. Donald (jamesd at echeque.com) wrote:
: >From: Stanton McCandlish <mech at eff.org>
: >Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:53:46 -0800 (PST)
: >
: >Justice Dept. dropped investigation of Phil Zimmermann, declines to
: >prosecute.
:
: I never expected them to prosecute, unless he forced them to by
: toilet bombing the court, but I did expect them to keep on
: "investigating" him forever and a day.

The statute of limitations would have run out in a few months.

They could have kept "investigating" a little longer, but then they would
have looked really stupid investigating a crime that they couldn't
prosecute.  That would also have been clear evidence of harassment.