No Subject

owner-cypherpunks at toad.com owner-cypherpunks at toad.com
Fri Jan 12 03:29:48 PST 1996

> >	We've made no progress. Phil has lots lots of time and gained
> >lots of grey hairs, and everyone who donated to his defense fund lost
> >money.
>
> No progress? At least Phil is not going off on a trip to Alcatraz to
> make small ones out of big ones. Thats a big plus in many peoples books.

I wish I could make another of my pollyannaish posts now, but I agree with
Sameer.  It's great that Phil's off the hook, but there's nothing to stop
them from doing the same thing to someone else tomorrow.  What's more,,
everyone here knows that, and so the government gets what it really wants:
a chilling effect on crypto development.

How much credit do you give a guy when he stops beating his wife?  They
put Phil through the ringer, made him spend his money on lawyers, and
added a lot of stress to his life.  But they haven't admitted that they
were wrong, and they haven't renounced such actions in the future.

We're all very happy that Phil's out of the woods, and today's
announcement is a great thing.

But it's not enough.