"trust management" vs. "certified identity"

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Sun Jan 7 22:38:13 PST 1996

At 1:40 1/7/96, Frank O'Dwyer wrote:

>But it is usually easier to
>determine (and vouch for) who a stranger is than how trustworthy
>they are, if only because there are quick and easy real-world
>mechanisms for this (driver's licence, passport,etc.).   That's all
>I meant.

Though it may seem that way, I am not so sure that it is true. I am told
that you can buy a CA driver licence in the hispanic part of San Francisco
for about $50. Hologram and all. Reputations can take years to establish. I
am would feel more comfortable to sign certain statements about the
(on-line) character or technical skills of some people on this list whom I
have never met, than to sign the PGP key of an utter stranger that shows me
his Alabama ID card.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.