New PGPfone Beta Test Available (1.0b5) Still Mac only

Jeffrey I. Schiller jis at mit.edu
Sun Jan 7 11:58:58 PST 1996

MIT is now distributing a new beta test version of PGPfone. This version
(1.0b5) is not compatible with the previous version (1.0b4) and may not
be compatible with the final 1.0 release.

This version supports Macintoshes with half-duplex hardware. It also
supports secure voice communication over the Internet (the "Internet"
button that had been grayed out in earlier versions is now active).

PGPfone is being distributed both via anonymous FTP and via the World
Wide Web (WWW). The WWW retrieval path is preferred because it is much
easier to use.

U.S. and Canadian FTP users should retrieve the file /pub/PGPfone/README
via anonymous FTP from net-dist.mit.edu. It explains how to obtain the
PGPfone release via FTP. Note: The old release is still located on the
FTP site. The new version is named "PGPfone10b5.sea.Hqx."

Web users should visit the PGPfone home page located at:

                 "http://web.mit.edu/network/pgpfone/"

In addition to general information and information on getting PGPfone,
the home page also contains a link to the PGPfone HTML on-line manual.
The manual can also be found directly at:

             "http://web.mit.edu/network/pgpfone/manual/".

THE WINDOWS '95 VERSION IS EXPECTED TO BE AVAILABLE WITHIN THREE WEEKS.
However schedules can and do often change. Please DO NOT send me e-mail
requesting information on release scheduling.

I will also be releasing shortly the SOURCE CODE to this beta test
version. We (the PGPfone development team and myself) do not recommend
that people attempt to compile this source (unless you are a real
wizard). YOU SHOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO DO PGPFONE PORTS TO OTHER PLATFORMS
with this code. I say this because this is still a beta test version and
things are likely to still change significantly. If you port this source
code, you may be wasting your time! However I doubt that the basic
structure of the code will change, so you can get an idea of how it
works and how much effort a port would require.

NOTE: The FTP PGP/PGPfone distribution site has recently been updated
with a list of many more "known to be in the U.S. or Canada" domain
names. If you are a U.S. or Canadian user and you cannot get access to
the PGPfone distribution it is either because your domain name is not
known to us to be located in the U.S. or Canada *or* we could not
determine your host's domain name given its Internet address.

IF YOU CANNOT GET PGPFONE FROM US try to get it from somewhere else. I
cannot afford the time to e-mail people personal copies at this time. We
are working on alternative technology for the FTP/WWW distribution site
so that the number of bad denials (i.e., not letting people in the U.S.
or Canada get in) is reduced.

Bugs and Questions should be directed to pgpfone-bugs at mit.edu.

                                -Jeff