please stop the Mitnick stuff

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sat Jan 6 17:00:02 PST 1996

Anonymous writes:

> At 06:31 PM 1/6/96 -0500, Perry Metzger wrote:
> >
> >This is cypherpunks, not Mitnick punks, Shimomura punks, or anything
> >similar. I personally don't care about Kevin Mitnick, and he most
> >certainly has little to no cryptography relevance at this point. Take
> >it elsewhere.
>
> C'mon, Perry, give it a break.  Mitnick's case has to do with security
> issues as well as the violations of privacy and/or search and seizure
> the government used to arrest him.

This isn't Libernet-d or something similar. This isn't where we
discuss violations of search and seizure laws or thing of that
kind. The world is full of injustice -- but this isn't the place to
discuss it. Mitnick's case has very little (certainly at this point)
to do with security, and never had anything to do with cryptography.

> I found it interesting.  If you didn't, then all you had to do was
> delete it.

When there are one or two small items posted on a topic thats no big
deal. When its a lot of stuff, it becomes an enormous pain. Multiply
the few seconds to read and digest enough of a message to know you
should delete it by dozens of messages per mailing list per day and by
a dozen mailing lists and you suddenly have an untenable waste of your
time.

Perry