Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Thu Jan 4 12:22:05 PST 1996

At 11:43 1/4/96 -0600, Jason Rentz wrote:
>Previous exchanges deleted...
>>
>>With a tightly focused beam (light is easy, I don't know about lower
>>frequencies), you can prevent interception except by very obvious physical
>>devices.  (e.g. Someone in a cherry picker truck.)  You may be able to
>>avoid the need to encrypt the link (and all the paranoia about key
>>management, advances in factoring etc. that that implies.)
>>
>>Bill
>
>The problem with this comes when you start creating links between much
>taller buildings like in San Fran.  Any give building over 30 stories might
>sway a foot or so at any given time.  Combine that with the other building
>and you might get a few feet of movement. (movement not including during an
>earthquake)  :)

(1) No single communication technology is appropriate for every problem.

(2) A technical fix could include having the receiver send steering orders
to the transmitter.  This solution would, of course, be a long way from the
low tech scavenged lens and 1/2 meter cardboard mailing tube technology I
was thinking of.

Bill