2047 bit keys in PGP

Don Gaffney gaffney at emba.uvm.edu
Thu Jan 4 11:51:53 PST 1996

On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Thomas Massengale wrote:

> At 3:17 PM 1/3/96, Mark M. wrote:
>
> >I really don't see the point of using a key larger than 2048 bits.  Any larger
> >key would actually be harder to factor than brute forcing the IDEA keyspace.
>
> the world will never need more than 640K of RAM?

A paraphase of Bill Gates in 1981:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."

However, DRAM technology and use can't really be compared to the fundamental
mathematical problem posed by factoring prime composites. Stuffing more
gates on a chunk of silicon is just an engineering problem. Correct me
if I'm wrong, but I don't think much has happened with primes since
Legendre (1752-1833).
Don Gaffney
Engineering, Mathematics & Business Administration Computer Facility
University of Vermont
237 Votey Building
Burlington, VT  05405
(802) 656-8490