2047 bit keys in PGP

netdog netdog at dog.net
Thu Jan 4 07:17:45 PST 1996

>I really don't see the point of using a key larger than 2048 bits.  Any larger
>key would actually be harder to factor than brute forcing the IDEA keyspace.
>Very little security would be gained from using a key larger than 3000 bits.
>Of course, one can always argue that improved factoring methods would require
>that an RSA public key be longer than 3000 bits to have equal security to
>IDEA.  However, I doubt that factoring methods will improve that much.

nobody will ever need more than 640K or RAM?  i wouldn't underestimate the
ability of technology to grow at a pace that is beyond our wildest
dreams-especially with this network serving as a virtual office/lab.  of
course, ymmv.

the Forest will always be there...and anybody who is Friendly with Bears
can find it.

- A. A. Milne