Why Net Censorship Doesn't Work

Mike Fletcher fletch at ain.bls.com
Wed Jan 3 17:12:17 PST 1996

> One of my co-workers has pointed out that the need for something as
> simple as a helper application for Netscape loses about 90% of his
> audience. By simply making it rather more difficult for people to
> chat about some things, governments can effectively push such things
> out of the way of all but the most determined readers.

	Ah, but consider what happens when Java (or Java-esque platform
independant executable content) really takes off.

	Gee, your browser doesn't know how to view image/stego?
Just pull down https://foobaz.com/isView.class and off you go.  (Or your
browser will pull it down automagically for you and pay the author for
it from your ewallet.  Or it could rent a copy from Blockbuster(tm)
Applets.  You get the idea :) Software will become less and less what your
machine has and more what it has access to.

---
Fletch                                                     __`'/|
fletch at ain.bls.com  "Lisa, in this house we obey the       \ o.O'    ______
404 713-0414(w)      Laws of Thermodynamics!" H. Simpson   =(___)= -| Ack. |
404 315-7264(h) PGP Print: 8D8736A8FC59B2E6 8E675B341E378E43  U      ------