Why Net Censorship Doesn't Work

Bob Bruen, MIT Lab for Nuclear Science BRUEN at mitlns.mit.edu
Wed Jan 3 01:24:59 PST 1996

DCF wrote:
>Thought control is a very difficult task.  It always has been.  The
>Inquisition,  Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of
>China tried but three of the four are no longer with us.  Short of
>totalitarian controls, thought controls will be ineffective.  And
>totalitarian controls are difficult to impose these days.

  While thought control is difficult, one cannot ignore the damage done
  trying to do it. All of the above examples were expensive in terms of
  human suffering and death toll for long periods of time. The controls
  were effective for some time with long periods for recovery. The facists
  may lose in the end but the price of victory is very high. I fear the
  current and future efforts at controls will be costly no matter what
  the outcome.

                          bob