Another Internet Provider Censors Access (fwd)

Brad Dolan bdolan at use.usit.net
Tue Jan 2 08:53:53 PST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Another shoe drops?

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 19:44:30 -0600
From: x
To: y

Y -

Coming off CompuServe's announcement last week that it was
cutting off all access to "alt.binaries" newsgroups under
pressure from the German government, I'm passing along another
apparent development from another Internet access provider,
Netcom.

Under the guise of a minor software upgrade, Netcom has changed
its newsgroups access list to totally exclude "alt" groups
altogether.  Since there is no way to sign up for a newsgroup
other than via the selection menu that Netcom provides, it
appears that Netcom has managed to censor access to all those
discussion groups.

We are witnessing the not-so-gradual erosion of freedom of the
Net.  I not often find myself allied with John Perry Barlow, but
on this one we are four-square:  what with stupid attempts of
government to pass unconstitutional restrictions, and
acquiescence of the private sector to intimidation and pressure,
freedoms of the many are being dictated by reactionary elements
in places like Memphis, Tennessee.

The next opportunity, I expect, will be to help underwrite the
defense of the first criminal action brought under the new law.
In the meantime, we can unsubscribe to services that curtail our
liberties.

"X"
Speaking solely for myself, this time.