ViaCryptPGP 4.0?! (was Re: PGP integrated into Z-Mail)

Mark Aldrich maldrich at grctechs.va.grci.com
Thu Feb 29 12:54:35 PST 1996

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Deranged Mutant wrote:

> > I dont know.  I dont work for ViaCrypt, and they have been fairly
> > secretive in their work.  For all I know, they've made ViaCrypt PGP
> > 4.0 completely incompatible with PGP 2.6.2 and PGP3.
>
> I would have thought you and Colin would have some communication with
> Phil regarding PGP3, since PGP is his trademark.

We're a beta tester for the ViaCrypt 4.0 product.  They have not made PGP
4.0 incompatible with prior releases.  They've added some non-PGP
features, like pseudo-key-escrow and key expiration dates, to make the
product more palatable to some "corporate" users.  Many of the features
are "localized" to that instance of PGP and don't actually inflict any
changes onto the encrypted results.  I,E., making a key expire on a given
day doesn't "break" the ability of others to read files from a PGP 4.0 user.

I also think that the comment about ViaCrypt being "secretive" is a
little odd.  ViaCrypt tends to be very up-front about what they're up to
(at least, they have been with us), and they openly solicit input as to
'what features does PGP need to have in order to make it so you can use
it in your business?'  Hence, they now have a Personal Edition and a
Business Edition.

If folks have got specific things that they're worried about, I'll try to
offer my observations about the beta product versus the "stock" product.
However, I don't think that the perception that ViaCrypt's secretive
about the "enhancements" is at all valid.

|So, I went walking through the street.   |Mark Aldrich                 |
|I saw you strung up in a tree.           |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|A woman knelt there, said to me,         |maldrich at grci.com            |
|Hold your tongue, man, hold your tongue. |MAldrich at dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich at grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |