PGP to PC mail integration

Matts Kallioniemi matts at pi.se
Wed Feb 28 05:49:37 PST 1996

At 05:09 1996-02-28 -0500, lmccarth at cs.umass.edu wrote:
>Mike Ingle writes:
>> Instead of messing with user interfaces, you set the POP and SMTP
>> addresses of your mail program to "localhost". You run locally a Visual
>> Basic program that sits on ports 110 (POP) and 25 (SMTP) listening for
>> connections. The VB program is configured with the addresses of your
>> real SMTP and POP servers, and acts as a proxy.
>>
>> When your mail program retrieves POP mail, it goes through the VB
>> program, and the VB program decrypts any PGP mail it sees. When it
>> sends mail, the VB program encrypts any mail it has a PGP key for the
>> recipient of.
>
>Would you be stuck if you wanted to send something unsigned and/or
>unencrypted ?

Nope. The VB program should give a popup window where you can enter your
passphrase to sign/decrypt the message. Such a popup can have a <NO> button
if you don't want it to do its thing.

But how often do you receive an encrypted letter for which you have the
secret key, and don't want the letter decrypted?

Actually, I was already working on such a program when these posts came by,
so any suggestions to functionality are welcome!

Matts