Privacy legislation in CA

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh rishab at best.com
Wed Feb 28 01:13:05 PST 1996

I just forwarded my last post to some other list  favouring
- sort of - proposed privacy legislation in California. As
it may not have appeared here, and is very short, and I don't
have the URL, and I believe my response was relevant to
cpunks, I've reproduced the bill.

-Rishab

SB 1659 Personal rights: privacy.
BILL NUMBER: SB 1659                                      INTRODUCED
02/21/96
                               BILL TEXT

INTRODUCED BY  Senator Peace

                        FEBRUARY 21, 1996

   An act to add Section 43.2 to the Civil Code, relating to privacy.

                      LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

   SB 1659, as introduced, Peace.  Personal rights: privacy.
   Existing law, the California Constitution, provides that all
people have certain inalienable rights, including the right to
privacy.
   This bill would prohibit a person or corporation from using
or distributing for profit information concerning an individual,
including his or her credit history, finances, or medical
history, without his or her written consent. The bill would
include a statement of legislative findings concerning the right
to privacy.
   Vote:  majority.  Appropriation:  no.  Fiscal committee:  no.
State-mandated local program:  no.

  SECTION 1.  The Legislature hereby finds and declares the
following:
   (a) All people have an inalienable right to privacy as
declared in Section 1 of Article I of the California
Constitution.
   (b) Advances in technology have made it easier to create,
acquire, and analyze detailed personal information about an
individual.
   (c) Personal information, including information about a
person's financial history, shopping habits, medical history,
and travel patterns, is continuously being created.
   (d) The unauthorized use of personal information concerning
an individual is an infringement upon that individual's right to
privacy.
  SEC. 2.  Section 43.2 is added to the Civil Code, to read:
   43.2.  No person or corporation may use or distribute for
profit any personal information concerning a person without that
person's written consent.  Such information includes, but is
not limited to, an individual's credit history, finances,
medical history, purchases, and travel patterns.

The Indian Techonomist - newsletter on India's information industry
http://dxm.org/techonomist/                             rishab at dxm.org
Editor and publisher: Rishab Aiyer Ghosh           rishab at arbornet.org
Vox +91 11 6853410; 3760335;     H 34 C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA