In favour of privacy legislation

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh rishab at best.com
Wed Feb 28 01:10:02 PST 1996

> 	Why shouldn't I be able to sell it. Information is free. If
> it's illegal to sell it in the US, I'm sure Marketing Info, Inc.,
> operating out of Costa Rica, would be happy to sell the information
> about your buying habits.

If we're talking about a US-based, on-shore operation, the reason
why you should not be able to sell my buying habits, ethical
and legal, would be that I gave them to you in the first place,
for a specific purpose. If we're talking about Costa Rica, which
has achieved mythical status as a data haven in some future
cupherpunked world, thenwe're not in the US any more. We're
in the world of the Internet, of the technology-is-law life
that appeals to so many of us (including me), and you wouldn't
be able to track my buying habits anyway.

I'd be using the alpha.c2.org remailer, which would have conveniently
located itself in - where else - Costa Rica.

The Indian Techonomist - newsletter on India's information industry
http://dxm.org/techonomist/                             rishab at dxm.org
Editor and publisher: Rishab Aiyer Ghosh           rishab at arbornet.org
Vox +91 11 6853410; 3760335;     H 34 C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA