TED_hal

Brad Dolan bdolan at use.usit.net
Sun Feb 25 12:31:02 PST 1996

On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 4:17 PM 2/25/96, Brad Dolan wrote:
>
> >Lipke's neighbors indicate his income didn't match his lifestyle.
> >
> >FINCEN at work?
>
> I'm skeptical.
>
> How would Lipka's neighbors know what his "income" is, unless he told them?
> (My neighbors don't have any idea what my income is, for example.) Sounds
> like typical bullshit by neigbors, saying they knew something was
> "suspicious" (always after the fact, it seems).

Could be.  That's what they said, anyway.  See below.

But if I had the FINCEN databases, I would spend my idle hours looking
for statistical anomalies.  Like guys whose outgo exceeds reported income.

bd

(Associated Press, 2/23/96)

Lipka's Neighbors Had Wonders

   MILLERSVILLE, Pa. (AP) -- To his neighbors, Robert Stephan Lipka was a coin
collector, chess player and off-track betting enthusiast who lived on
disability payments.  [...]

[...]

On Friday, federal agents converged on his one-story brick colonial house in
this rural central Pennsylvania town and arrested Lipka. He was charged with
selling secrets to the Soviets for nearly 10 years.

Authorities said he passed documents to the Soviets during the Vietnam War
when he was an Army clerk at the Pentagon's National Security Agency at Fort
Meade, Md., sometimes getting up to $1,000 for each delivery of information.
[...]

Bewildered neighbors watched as federal agents walked in and out of the
house Friday morning. A garbage crew stopped to pick up the family trash, only
to open the lid of an empty can, the contents apparently taken already by
authorities.

Neighbor James Quinn said there had been some speculation in the
neighborhood how about the Lipkas could afford the $168,000 house they bought a
year ago. Lipka sold his former house only two months ago, for $76,000.

[...]