Encryption Chips

A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security PADGETT at hobbes.orl.mmc.com
Sun Feb 25 09:10:12 PST 1996

>	Faking crypto chips for public algorithims is theoretically
>more difficult, because its simple to create a DES_verify routine to make
>sure your DES chip is working right.

a) chips do not need makeup
b) t'were me, I would just fix the chip so that instead of 2^56 (DES) keys
   or whatever, the PRNG was "fixed" so that the total keyspace was only 2^32
   for instance. Enough to be nearly impossible to check but small enough
   for a brute force engine to zip through in seconds *if you knew the
   algorithm*.

The nice thing about am implimentation in software is that the code can be
examined for just this sort of thing *on a randomly selected operating unit*.
- hard to do with a chip.
						Warmly,
							Padgett