REM_ote

Adam Shostack adam at lighthouse.homeport.org
Sat Feb 24 12:04:46 PST 1996

	I'm going to disagree.  Netscape needs to add configurability
if they are going to sell proprietary standards that people employ in
offering information.  I recently wrote a proposal for 2 "Netscape
stations," machines which would not be networked, but be available for
use with Netscape 2.  Sort of a shame to use dialup modems in place of
the high speed internet connection, but security concerns stemming
from an inability to guarantee Java & Javascript are not running cause
me to feel that this would be the best solution.

	Until there's security oriented configurability, I can't say
Netscape has anything better than an acceptable record.  They do a
decent job of fixing the bugs, but only if you can enfore deployment
of a new version, and ensure that old, bad features are not used.

Adam

| > Marianne Mueller is a Sun employee, not a Netscape employee. The
| > original quote did not make that clear.
|
| Again, I apologize to Ms. Meuller and to Netscape.
|
| In my opinion Netscape has a great track record of addressing concerns and
| problems with its software.  Other companies would do well to use
| Netscape's policy of addressing and correcting proven security problems,
| instead of denying and downplaying them, as a model.

					               -Hume