Edupage, 20 Feb 1996

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Thu Feb 22 16:33:19 PST 1996

From:	IN%"frissell at panix.com"  "Duncan Frissell" 22-FEB-1996 12:01:13.17

>Why, Oh why is there so so much talk about the V Chip.  This stupid device
>only covers over-the-air broadcast TV a dying part of the spectrum.  It does
>not cover cable-only programs (HBO, etc) and it does not cover net-based
>audio and (soon) video programming.  It is meaningless.

	If I recall correctly, Europe still has a lot of over-the-air
broadcast TV. Moreover, if the device works from signals cosent with the TV
broadcast, it could perfectly well work with cable. Indeed, I had thought it
did - the companies that mainly produce stuff for cable seemed to be protesting
it just as much as the broadcast networks.
	-Allen