NOISE Re: Easy Nuclear Detonator

Alan Bostick abostick at netcom.com
Thu Feb 22 12:30:26 PST 1996

In article <m0tpV8K-00091iC at pacifier.com>,
jim bell <jimbell at pacifier.com> wrote:

> At 11:00 PM 2/21/96 -0500, Black Unicorn wrote:

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >
> >>   ^^^^^^
> >>
> >> No shit.
> >
> >So, it would seem, is nuclear weapons design.
>
> I wrote this just a few hours ago.  Let's have a vote:  Who thinks I have
> some idea about the subject?

[snip]

> I forgot about the beryllium.  Beryllium, I understand, is described as a
> "neutron reflector".   Now how GOOD a neutron reflector it is I don't know,
> but if you're trying to make a bomb with the smallest amount of material at
> the primary's core it would help a great deal to have a neutron reflector.
> Presumably, it would be used to coat the inside of the "hammer."  If
> beryllium were a "perfect" neutron reflector, you could use arbitrarily low
> amounts of plutonium or U-235 as the core (analogy:  If you were in a room
> with walls which were perfect mirrors, and "you" were invisible, you would
> see "forever" and the volume of space you were in would appear to be
> infinite), and you could make the core as small as you want.  (But it isn't,
> so the improvement effected by beryllium is limited.)
>
> It might also help to make the "pit" hollow, but I don't know about that.
> This might assist in the mechanical impedance match, too.  If you could get
> the chemical implosion timed  "just right" you might be able to get away
> with using a really THIN layer of plutonium that crashes together at the
> core.  This might provide optimum densification because you would be able to
> accelerate the hollow plutonium sphere centrally at near-detonation-velocity
> speeds, which would result in very effective density increases.

I vote that you don't know jack shit about bomb design.

If you don't have a properly-designed initiator at the core, an implosion
device is just a mess of high explosives surrounding a dense metal object.

Stick to a gun device; it's tried-and-true.  The yield is lower, but at
least it works.

- --
   Alan Bostick             | "If I am to be held in contempt of court,
Seeking opportunity to      | your honor, it can only be because the court
develop multimedia content. | has acted contemptibly!"
Finger abostick at netcom.com for more info and PGP public key