A Challenge (perhaps!)

Bruce Baugh bruce at aracnet.com
Thu Feb 22 11:16:58 PST 1996

At 07:46 AM 2/22/96 -0600, m5 at dev.tivoli.com (Mike McNally) wrote:

>The way I like to think of such a scheme is to consider the secret
>algorithm itself to be the key, which then drives the cryptosystem
>composed of the CPU instruction sequencer on the encrypting machine.
>Thus all messages are encrypted with the same key; it should be easy
>to see why that isn't secure.

That's a very effective way of putting it. I like that.

As it happens, it appears that I may have persuaded yet another developer
what I Strongly Suspect to be hideously insecure to post info here, or have
me do it. Turns out he's genuinely interested in doing it right. I _really_
hope this turns into a trend :-) - two in one week is pretty nifty. Good
will is a precious thing.

--
Bruce Baugh
bruce at aracnet.com