IBM Breakthrough?

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 22 01:37:26 PST 1996

   IBM has an ad in the Feb 26 New Yorker where a joker e-
   mails a recipe-swapping friend in Osaka that "I'll teleport
   you some goulash." The text then states:

      Margit is a little premature, but we are working on it.

      An IBM scientist and his colleagues have discovered a
      way to make an object disintegrate in one place and
      reappear intact in another.

      It sounds like magic. But their breakthrough could
      affect everything from the future of computers to our
      knowledge of the cosmos.

   What is this breakthrough or is it just a chump tease?