CDA outside US (Including Indian Reservations)

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 20 03:22:34 PST 1996

At 06:21 PM 2/18/96 -0700, Sean Morgan wrote:
>This is not an idle threat.  When Pierre Trudeau was elected prime minister
>of Canada (1969?) there was some scrambling in the US to get him off the
>_persona non grata_ list.  Seems that in his student days he had been busted
>for trying to kayak from Florida to Cuba.  Canadian author Farley Mowatt
>(sp?) was turned back at the border for imagined pinko associations (best
>guess was that it was because he had traveled to the USSR to research _Sibir_).

Farley Mowat (author of such pinko-Canadian books as "Never Cry Wolf")
had also "violently attacked" the US Air Force.  He was annoyed at them for
flying
nuclear bombers and such on training runs over Canada, and shot at them
with a small rifle (I think it was a .22 or something equally dangerous to
airplanes at 35000 feet...)  They didn't like it.

#--
#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts at ix.netcom.com / billstewart at attmail.com +1-415-442-2215
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs     Pager +1-408-787-1281