should we use same nym on multiple servers?

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Tue Feb 20 00:01:58 PST 1996

  With the additional nym servers coming on the scene comes the
question of whether or not to "claim" our alpha.c2 nym on the other
ones, too.  E.g., if we are foobar at alpha.c2.org, should we also become
foobar at nym.gondolin.org and foobar at nym.alias.net, too?

  That would let us have a very stable nym, and prevent confusion over
who's "who" if someone else were to have the same id with another nym
server.  But, it makes it harder to keep our real ID secret.  (E.g.,
an oversimplified scenario would be if an attacker sends a message to
all three nyms, then watches three PGP conventionally encrypted
messages arrive in our mailbox.)

  A "safer" way would be to have the other two nyms have a fake
address, but then we couldn't receive mail with it.  A trickier way
would be to have the reply block point to alt.anonymous, but then we'd
have to constantly be watching for a message "to" us.

  Another angle, though, is that the nym servers may be unstable, and
multiple nyms would allow us to post, if out "favorite" is down.

  Anyways, I'm a beginner, and think that the most useful use of
remailers is to ask dumb questions.  :-)