A Cyberspace Independence Refutation

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Sun Feb 18 20:12:06 PST 1996

From:	IN%"bdavis at thepoint.net"  "Brian Davis" 17-FEB-1996 23:44:32.70

>On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Dave Farber wrote:

>> The President can not rule anything unconstitutional. He can tell justice
>> not to enforce it but sometime local federal prosecutors do what they want

>U.S. Attorneys serve at the pleasure of the President.  U.S. Attorneys
>cannot fire their Assistants -- they can only recommend such action to
>the Attorney General or the Deputy Attorney General.

	As I understand it, what the President can do is order them not to
defend its constitutionality - making it _real_ easy to remove in court. BTW,
why (other than political cowardice) hasn't Clinton done so with respect to
gays in the military?
	-Allen

P.S. Since that last question is getting off the subject, feel free to do it in
private email.