True democracy in America.

Sean Morgan sean at lucifer.com
Sun Feb 18 16:47:57 PST 1996

Isaac Hopkins <Isaac.C.Hopkins-1 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

>A truly Democratic society is only feasible when you have an educated
>society that can act outside of their own self interest [...] A democracy
>is just the tyranny of the majority.

Democracy works because it recognizes the power of a majority.  If a
leader's policies are at odds with the will of the majority, sooner or later
they will rise up against him/her.  If you will allow me to throw a cliche
back at your "tyranny of the majority", how about "might makes right"?  Or
as Churchill said (more or less), "Democracy is the worst possible form of
government, except for all the others."

Notice that "might makes right" does not imply that any education is necessary.
Sean Morgan (sean at lucifer.com) | Let me tell you a few bits about myself:
http://www.lucifer.com/~sean/  |   AGGTGTCGACGCTAGGATCAACCTTTAAGTGAACT...