Legal status of Indian Reservations and CDA

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Sat Feb 17 22:04:39 PST 1996

At  6:03 PM 2/17/96 +0000, Michael Peponis wrote:
>If I remember correctly, are not American Indian reservations considered
>qusi-sovergin states under the law?
>
>If this is true, what would stop me from negotiating with some tribe to
>establish an ISP on the reservation and then placing whatever material I
>wanted
>on that site without fear of reprisals from the US goverment.

In the last Indian war (the Modoc war), the Indian leaders were hanged as
common criminals when the war was over.  The current law allows small sins
on the reservation.  I suspect that if you tried to sell porn from a
reservation or thru the mail you would find out the limits of Indian
nationhood.

Bill