Credentials ?

A. Padgett Peterson P.E. Information Security PADGETT at hobbes.orl.mmc.com
Sat Feb 17 14:19:32 PST 1996

Ed rites:
> Even with the manned entrances, the ones with just a
>receptionist/secretary, they seldom check that the picture matches the one
>on the badge, so even if they've invalidated the badge, the receptionist
>will still more than likely let you into the place if you wave your
>keycard/badge around.

People have *always* been the weak link in spite of the fact that "personal
recognition" is considered best.

Back in the days of high compression engines measured in hundreds of cubic
inches rather than bottle sizes, everyone who worked at the Cape (Canaveral,
Kennedy, whatever) had a pack of Winstons in the car. The back entrance
was through a drawbridge, a sweeping right turn, and then a short straight
to the guardboxes at the entrance.

When the bridge was up, a considerable amount of 28 cents/gal Sunoco 260
waited for the bars to raise. Unleashed, a small block could be wound up
pretty good by the gate. Seems that a pack of Winstons (white rectangle over
red rectangle) at 40+ looked just like a Secret badge.

							Warmly,
								Padgett

ps Tim was correct, believe I *registered* Libertarian that year - do remember
   not getting invited to vote in any primaries.