Computer unmasks Anonymous writer...

Sean Gabb cea01sig at gold.ac.uk
Sat Feb 17 12:35:09 PST 1996

I wish I could give more information on this matter than I have, but here
goes.  In the early 80s, when I was at York Universiy, a friend of mine
in the Mathematics Department took part in a statistical analysis of the
Letters of Junius, which appeared anonyously in the Morning Advertiser in
London in the early 1760s.  They were ascribed to almost every writer of
the age, from Birke to Gibbon.  Macaulay was convinced on external
evidence that they were by Philip Francis.  Byu analysing the Letters and
other writings acknowledged by Francis, my friend assured me that
Macaulay was right.

I believe that similar tests have been run on works ascribed to
Shakespeare, though I don't know what conclusions were reached.  It would
be interesting to be able to write software that could mimic a style.  I
hope that won't happen, since it would strip me of what small advantage I
have when writing.

Sean Gabb,
Editor
Free Life.