MS CryptoAPI (fwd)

Rich Salz rsalz at osf.org
Fri Feb 16 13:38:57 PST 1996

Okay, so how the hell did Microsoft get export approval for this? I mean,
this is the classic crypto-with-a-hole; a service-provider interface (SPI)
with DLL's means "plug your crypto here".  This is usually considered an
"anciliary" device in ITAR language, and therefore export controlled.  I
mean, how long until you see MSWord with "full privacy" option?

Word I've heard is that the office of Export Control has had a lot of
turnover and "nobody knows anything" anymore.  Anyone here any other good
rumors?
	/r$