Carrying the Bible an Offense?

Sten Drescher stend at grendel.texas.net
Thu Feb 15 16:38:25 PST 1996

tcmay at got.net (Timothy C. May) said:

TCM> There are two further points which need clearing up:

TCM> 1. Private citizens (the atheist in this case) do not file
TCM> criminal charges. They may swear out a complaint ("I witnessed
TCM> John Doe carrying a Bible"), but they do not file criminal
TCM> charges.

	OK, how about `press charges`?  And please, don't try telling
me that private citizen's don't `press charges`, because one of the
well reported problems in fighting domestic violence has been the
battered spouse (almost always the wife) refusing to press charges.

TCM> 2. The "carrying of a Bible" is not covered by the CDA.

	You are the only one who has suggested that it is.  I have
suggested that portions of the Bible are 'indecent', and that
electronic transmissions of the same would fall under the CDA ban.

TCM> No prosecutor can be "forced" to prosecute, absent approval by a
TCM> grand jury. (And if a prosecutor doesn't want to indict a ham
TCM> sandwich, it won't be indicted.)

	OK, how about this.  J Random Atheist, Jr, comes across the
Bible on the 'net.  J Random Atheist, Sr, finds out, and is appalled,
and swears out a complaint.  The AUSA refuses to investigate.  Could J
Random Atheist, Sr, file a lawsuit against the AUSA because he is
being denied equal treatment under the law?

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
Unsolicited email advertisements will be proofread for a US$100/page fee.