[ASSASSINATION NOISE] Re: V-chips, CC, and Motorcycle Helmets

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Thu Feb 15 06:42:03 PST 1996

At 08:11 PM 2/14/96 -0800, Bill Stewart wrote:
>At 11:36 AM 2/13/96 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>The Rushdie incident is simply so far removed from "Assassination Politics"
>>that it can't possibly be used to refute it; I still believe it actually
>>demonstrates how much effort somebody has to go to, to protect a targeted
>>person.  One targeted person is easy to protect.  10,000 would be FAR
>>harder.  And the moment a few of those guys got "whacked," the rest would
>>want to resign their jobs and hope they would be allowed to retire in peace.
>
>Rushdie is just low on your target list.  I agree that it's much harder
>to protect 10,000 people (say the Iranians put out a contract on Baha'is
>and other heretics, at $X/head...) but it's still abusable.

Does the fact that some system is "abusable" mean that it is not better than
the current system?  Or are you under the impression that the current system
is NOT "abusable"?!?  The reason I mention this is that I get the strange
impression that the system I advocate is being judged by a different
standard than the status quo.  "Double standard," is the usual term.  Is
this fair?

Let's consider the Rushdie situation in more detail.  Why is he in danger?
Because, obviously enough, some high-ranking LEADERS in the Moslem faith put
a contract out on him.  Okay, if they're high-ranking, and they're well
known, and they're putting out contracts on people, RECIPROCATE!

See how this works?  If "Ayatollah X" says, "Kill Rushdie and we'll give you
a couple million dollars," then "AsPol" that Ayatollah to death, a dollar at
a time.  Pretty soon, no "high-ranking" Moslem would DARE put out a contract
on a Rushie-like character, for fear of getting killed himself.

Of course, it is  true that individual Moslems could ALSO use the
"Assassination Politics" mechanism, but they would have to be
self-motivated, because the system is designed to be anonymous.  Keep in
mind that "nobody" would have ever heard of the name "Rushdie" if it hadn't
been for that contract.

> Maybe the
>Anonymous Captains of Industry put out a contract on strike leaders.

People keep talking about "leaders" as if we NEEDED leaders  SHEESH!  Stay
stuck in your old ruts if you want, but the fact is the world is changing
from a "leader-centric" system to a distributed-control system, assisted by
digital anonymity.

>>From a cypherpunks perspective, yes you could run an assassination lottery,
>though it might be hard for the assassin to collect - how do you prove
>that _you_ were the hit man, and not merely the nearest person to a phone
>after it happened?  How do you prevent an anonymous escrow agency from
refusing
>to deliver the cash?  Some of the protocols may be difficult to work out.

There are a lot of interesting questions implied by the above paragraph, and
I will be happy to discuss them, in the next note, tomorrow.  If anything, I am
surprised that there hasn't been more commentary along these lines than has
occurred up to now.  Frankly, if I want to discuss the POLITICAL aspects, I
typically do that in NWLIBERTARIANS at TELEPORT.COMO, not Cypherpunks.  The
main reason I subscribed to Cypherpunks is that I wanted the TECHNICAL
issues discussed, debated, and perfected.

The problem, I think, is that people (like, for instance, Perry) complain
about the political-implications discussion of AsPol, but he clearly doesn't
want to move the discussion to a more technical "Cypherpunks"-type level,
with detailed discussions of protocols, trust issues, etc.  I _DO_.

>Meanwhile
>        WANTED, DEAD OR ALIVE
>        JIM BELL
>        REWARD 13 demo-cyberbucks

Hey, I'm not easily offended!  Actually, while I think this is rather funny,
I am fully aware that the truth is that my idea will upset a few million
apple-carts.  And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm one of the first
victims of this system. (I am careful to point out, however, that I believe
a system such as this to always have been inevitable;  Jim Bell is merely
one of the first to notice the ultimate implications of this system.)

As I said long ago, there are some words in "A Tale of Two Cities" which
describes my feelings on the subject.

>An assassination-sponsoring society is _not_ a polite society.

Question:  How would you know?  Since we've never had anything even remotely
approaching the system I advocate, how can you say how "polite" it would be?

Jim Bell

jimbell at pacifier.com

Klaatu Burada Nikto