No Subject

owner-cypherpunks at toad.com owner-cypherpunks at toad.com
Wed Feb 14 07:46:51 PST 1996

> From:	IN%"tallpaul at pipeline.com" 12-FEB-1996 00:47:35.36
>
> >But I do not dismiss people as "lib'bers;" I merely call them that. I have
> >noticed that a large number of libertarians are fans of Rush Limbaugh and
> >chuckle a lot when Rush refers to women like Andrea Dworkin and her
> >supporters as lib'bers. I also find that the people opposed to Drowkin &
> >Co. are upset at her use of demagogic language, private dictionaries, and
> >the like. So am I, and started long before Rush got his TV shows. I am,
> >however, equally (if not more upset) by what I perceive as similar
> >demagogic etc. behavior by many libertarians.
>
> 	Large number of libertarians are fans of Rush Limbaugh? The last time
> I checked, Rush Limbaugh was basically a conservative populist like Pat
> Buchanan. While we may appreciate his comments re Andrea Dworkin (and others
> who want to restrict free speech on ridiculous grounds, and who believe
> nonsensical things like an inability to consent to sex), that doesn't mean
> we're fans of his. I like some of what Jefferson said, too, but that doesn't
> mean I agree with him on slave-holding (or on agrarianism).

Neither Rush Limbaugh or Pat Buchanan are populists.  Populists tend to
believe in strong government with strict regulation of business, an
actually progressive tax system, confiscation of businesses which break
the rules, government enterprise in competition with the private sector,
no secrecy in government of the type required in the private sector,
bias toward small businesses and sole proprietors, etc.
Letting business "do whatever they want", really doesn't qualify.
FWIU, Buchanan's only claim is opposition to "free trade"(forcing the US
to trade)

AFWIU, Jefferson didn't like slavery, and later freed his slaves,
but considered it necessary for business when he practiced it.
Have you worked at a job you didn't approve of?