No Subject

owner-cypherpunks at toad.com owner-cypherpunks at toad.com
Wed Feb 14 06:03:31 PST 1996

It's real simple folks. Turn the damn set off.

If parents wont accept the responsiblity to monitor what their kids
watch, then they get what they get. If I don't want my kids watching
television when I am gone, then I take the remote with me, as that is the
only way my TV works.

The V-chip, like every other type of electronic lockbox devised to date,
is nothing more than a band aid trying to cover the real problem - lack
of attention paid to one's children and what they are doing. A
govermental solution designed to regulate and legislate morality. History
has demonstrated that every time a government makes attempts to enforce
what is considered the basic tenants of civilized behavior then the game
has already been lost. The people and the politics have become so
corrupted that no form of democracy will survive for long - as it is
dependant on the individual's willingness to abide by the principle of
personal honesty.