[ADMIN] Unknown address

lmccarth at cs.umass.edu lmccarth at cs.umass.edu
Wed Feb 14 00:35:00 PST 1996

Jean-Francois Avon writes:
> Hi!  Could you tell me why I receive this message?!?
[...]
> >The user this message was addressed to does not exist at this site.  Please
> >verify the name and domain in the original message that follows.
> >Message was addressed to: SAMUEL.KAPLIN at warehouse.mn.org

Sam Kaplin's account @warehouse.mn.org is apparently gone, but his address is
still apparently subscribed to cypherpunks. Some combination of the headers
placed on outgoing list mail by majordomo at toad, and the mail-return header
interpretation policy enforced by the mailer daemon @warehouse, is causing
list mail bounces to get routed to the original message sender. (Arguing over
which site is "at fault" should probably be done somewhere like the
list-managers list, or much better still, between the sites themselves.)

A week or two ago I forwarded a bounce message to cypherpunks-owner at toad, and
my mail bounced. I asked Eric about it and he told me he hadn't been able to
get into that account for a while (he's the list manager :). Maybe that's been
rectified now. In lieu of that, the most expedient solution to these things
is usually a well-forged unsubscription request to majordomo at toad for the
bouncing address. I think Anonymous claimed to have taken care of that a
couple of days ago, but apparently they didn't succeed.

(Sam K. announced a while back that he would be effectively dropping off the
face of the net....)