V-chips, CC, and Motorcycle Helmets

lunaslide at loop.com lunaslide at loop.com
Tue Feb 13 01:01:14 PST 1996

}At 07:20 AM 2/12/96 +0000, Deranged Mutant wrote:
}>> Parents had that ability before.  Cable boxes have a "perental control key"
}>> on the side that enables them to lock out "offensive" channels.  It works
}>> quite well and is fairly hard for the kidlets to defeat.  (I used it to
}>> lockout the religious stations and home shopping channels.)
}>
}>When I was a kid some friends down the street knew how to unlock the
}>Channel 100 XXX movies with a paper clip.  A V-chip would hopefully
}>be more sophisticated, but then again, so are today's kids...
}
}Sshhh!  You are not supposed to tell them that!
<rm>

}
}Yeah, I know it can be hacked.  I also know that if they are that interested
}in sex, NOTHING I do is going to stop them.  (Which is as it should be.  If
}they have no exposure to any sexual material as a youth, some rather nasty
}problems tend to crop up as adults. (Take a look at the studies of sexual
}predators.) But that is a point avoided by the moralists...)

<rm>

What's really funny here is that the harder you make it for kids to get
into something, the more they learn in order for them to get into it.
Parents who impose restrictions on their children using all sorts of
methods (hiding stuff, using the channel lock out deal, blah blah blah) are
challenging their children to use deduction and reasoning to get at what
they want.  In the case of the v-chip, channel lockout, site blocking
software, etc., the parents are turning their children into the most
horrendous creatures of all...OH!  Cypherpunks!

lunaslide

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to
control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things
that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very
principles upon which our government was founded."
- -- Abraham Lincoln

On the meridian of time there is no injustice, only the poetry of motion
creating the illusion of truth and drama.
                                                Henry Miller